Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Essence Does It Again!

A Hair Story: From Relaxed to Natural was another nice Essence surprise. This photostory follows Miriam Agwai's trip to the salon for her Big Chop and first natural style. So why did she do it? Well, here's what she had to say:
“I did a documentary for a class last year called ‘Hair Like Me.’ In a lot of ways it’s my hair journey as told through the experiences and opinions of the women I interviewed," says Miriam Agwai."Don’t get me wrong: I loved rocking braids and relaxed hair, but deep down, I knew that wasn’t really me. I wanted to go natural: no extensions, no relaxers. I wanted to be hassle-free and my shorter natural do is much more in keeping with who I am.”

The rest goes on to talk about how she cares for her new do from what products she uses to how she will style. It's nice to see such a positive and informative depiction of natural hair beauty on a site which often times (often not always!!!) only depicts straight styles for Black women.

No comments:

Post a Comment