Saturday, April 18, 2009

Afro Twists Update

Hey guys and gals! This coming Wednesday, the 22nd, will make 6 weeks I've had my hair in Afro twists! I am still loving them and contemplating how much longer to keep them in. The stylist said three months but I seriously doubt I'll go that long. So far, they look pretty decent still. The parts have pretty much disappeared and I have lost a few around the front and back edges. For those pieces, when I wash, I just coat the hair with oil and curl around my finger to form a little ringlet. I actually think this makes it look more real since some of my hair is exposed. Also, some in the back "kitchen" area have slipped down a lot but are still hanging on. I think in the second pic below you can see one hanging down really farThey still feel very lightweight and have more movement since they don't fall the way my hair was initially parted.

These shots were taken right after I left the World Natural Hair and Health Show in ATL.



This has been my regimen overall:
1) Wet my hair under warm running water
2) Use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo on the roots. (I just pour in my hands, and massage into my scalp with my finger tips)
3) Rinse really well to make sure all residue is gone from the shampoo
4) Apply coconut oil or Taliah Waajid African Healing Oyl (I got a sample from the hair show and LOVED it!) lightly to my scalp with my fingertips and massage in
6) Towel blot the hair dry
5) Spray Aussie Leave In Conditioner and/or Infusium Leave In to the twists
6) Lightly blow dry the rest of the way with a hairdryer and diffuser on warm

Overall, I would say this has worked fine. Some that have gotten a little fuzzy looking I just un-twisted to the braided part at the root and re-twisted. Here are what I perceive to be the pros and cons of Afro twists in case you ever considered getting them:

Benefits:
Protective style
Get up and go!
Less Products Used
No prep for gym workouts
Quick drying time
Looks pretty natural
No shrinkage when I wash

Drawbacks:
One style for weeks at a time (I get so bored so this has been a little hard for me)
Expensive!
The hair is a little scratchy, better than kinky twists, but not as soft as real hair (of course)

I like these a lot and the more I wash them the more I like them. In the future, I might consider getting them in the fall/winter since I don't like leaving the house with my hair wet when it's cold. I miss playing with my hair but I am enjoying this break!

No comments:

Post a Comment