Monday, May 3, 2010

Newly Natural Queen of the Week: Courtney


Hello Beautiful Readers-
Meet Courtney and her curls!
She is the NNQ of the week...
Read her story below to find out more!

Enjoy!





Tell me about YOU
I'm a wife, mom, and a full time student and I currently live in San Antonio, TX. Like many naturals or those transitioning when I received my first relaxer I was really young. I was 5 or 6 and my mom always told me that my hair was too hard to manage. She would explain how tangled my tresses would become and how time consuming it was to do my hair everyday. Everyone in my family had long relaxed hair so I grew up believing I had to do the same. 

Tell me your hair care regimen 
Since my BC my regimen has been pretty much the same. I shampoo my hair every other week and co wash in between that if my hair feels dry. I seal the moisture in my hair often and then blow my hair out (using cold air).  

Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type.
My hair type is both 3b/3c curls. My curls in the back are extremely tight, almost like shirley temple curls. The ones in my crown area are loose. I learned the hard way when it comes to styling I have to do things a little different. My twist outs and braid outs, etc only work when my hair is dry. My hair also reacts well to natural oils. 

Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural 
The reaction was overall positive. My husband and family were really supportive. Only a few actually expressed to me that hated it! 

Did you BC or transition
It's funny because I started off transitioning. I told myself I was going to transition for a year because I didn't really want to have short hair. After getting frustrated to blending my new growth with a weave install I literally ran out the door and had my stylist cut it all off! 

What makes you a natural hair queen 
I'm a natural hair queen because my hair speaks for me when I walk into a room full of people. It's says so much about me, it says funky, free, and unique. I think anyone who embraces their natural hair should be deemed a queen : )




No comments:

Post a Comment