Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Natural Queen of the Week: Jamila



I am a 21-year old senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Born and raised in Charlotte, NC, I'm Southern enough to be offended by unsweetened tea but not Southern enough to want to stay here my whole life. I love the arts, my family, snuggling, thrifting, eating delicious items, and blogging....almost in that order. ;)



  I co-wash two to three times a week, and try to deep condition once a week when my schedule allows. I co-wash with Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration and style with Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and Shea Butter. I Deep Condition with Pantene Pro-V Deep Conditioning Mask or a hot oil treatment (with whatever's around: conditioners, oils) that I mix myself. I'll two-strand twist once or twist a week and wear twist-outs/styled wash-n-go's for the rest of the week.

I've never been much for hair typing, but I guess I'm have a mix of  3b/4a textures. My hair loves any kind of moisture! Essential and slippery conditioners work best on my hair type. Deep conditioning has been a godsend for me....my hair gets really dry really fast. Styling twice a week is a staple in my routine because it's low maintenance and my hair stays moisturized and tangle free.

My family and friends were so supportive when I went natural. The most common reaction I got was "You look good, but I could neverdo that!" People are funny. I'm sure there are people who didn't like it, but they didn't tell me. I learned quickly: Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

Both? I flat-ironed every 2 to three weeks for about 9 months (mistake...my hair was mad dry and broken- I knew nothing about transitioning styles), then I BCed.

 I am who I am, and my hair reflects that. Before I went natural, I was a walking contradiction. I told myself (and others) that I loved who I was, that I was proud to be who I am, all that "strong black woman" talk. And then I looked in the mirror and I didn't see that. I look in the mirror and I see myself. I feel like myself. And it feels good! Also, In December of last year I started a blog,www.collegecurlies.blogspot.com to reach out to other young women with natural hair, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. I love knowing that my journey can help inspire others, and I hope that people know: regardless of hair type/length/shape/texture, it's you, and it's beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment