Monday, March 9, 2009

David Banner Defends Himself...


So apparently Mr. Banner ruffled a few feathers at South Carolina University when he made a comment about black women and natural hair. So much so, he agreed to do an interview with Essence.com to clear up some of what he said:

During a speech at South Carolina University, Banner reportedly said: "Perming your hair is a clear example of Black-on-Black crime and media control."

As Black people we gave up our power for control and how we teach our kids. So the point I was trying to make is that many of our grandparents permed their hair as well as their children's for acceptance in society or even to get a job. When I made the statement, I made sure to say that this might not be the reason why many of our women relax their hair today, but I was sharing and explaining the history of relaxing hair. In short, I really don't care what Black women do with their hair. I love Black women, period.

On hair issues in music videos:
As far as the type of women I feature in my videos, I'd have to say that if more sisters with locks or short naturals showed up to casting then most certainly I'd be the first to cast them. One thing I've always done is make sure that there are dark-skinned women in my videos because I believe they are always underrepresented.

Interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment