Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reader Email: A Big Chop!

Last week I received a very sweet email from one reader. Here is what she had to say:

Ok your blog was one of my GREATEST inspirations...I had literally stressed about my hair for a year and on Sunday I decided I was ready to chop it! I attached a before and after!
Thanks for providing such motivational content!

She attached a few pics to showcase her new do. I was inspired by her chop and thought you all might be too. So, I invited her to share with us all for the good of the group and share she did! Take a look at these shots and read her thoughts on going natural.


Choosing to go natural was stressful, primarily because I am a bit anxious when it comes to decision making. I had so many worries: What will my hair look like? What will people think? Can I look pretty with short hair? Nevertheless, I had my last relaxer on October 22, 2009. After transitioning for a year, I finally mustered the courage to do the BIG CHOP on October 10, 2010. The breaking point: my hair was unmanageable! The two textures were literally at war and I couldn’t handle it. Plus, I am at a place where I feel confident regardless of my hairstyle. Perhaps, the confidence is due to maturity. Maybe it’s because I lived without a relaxer for a year and was forced to manage unconventional hair. Either way, I feel great in my own skin. Throughout the transition, I had an excellent source of encouragement. My closest friend went natural a year ago and her hair is amazing. She is obsessed with natural hair products, styles, etc. She reminded me that I lead a healthy life, so I should have healthy hair. The notion that “nice looking hair” is achieved by damaging chemical treatment is oxymoronic. For inspiration, I searched natural hair blogs, like Naturally Leslie. The beauty of natural women overwhelms me. Long kinks, short afros, tight coils, loose curls, it doesn’t matter; everyone looks absolutely gorgeous with their natural hair. It’s only natural that women glow with their natural hair, because that’s the way we are born and how we are meant to look. I look forward to another rewarding journey as my natural hair takes it course. I am beyond excited.

Thanks for sharing with the NL community!

No comments:

Post a Comment