Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Captured Curls of the Week: Kinky Kurly Queen of Naturally Obsessed!

I am so EXCITED to have 
my favorite natural hair blogger featured today.
She has been my inspiration since I big chopped and
I am truly grateful that I found her blog.
KKQ was one of my biggest supporters when I first launched Safi.
She helped me get the word out via Twitter
and she is always willing to try my new products
and give me feedback!
So my beautiful ladies, I am pleased to present to you
Kinky Curly Queen of Naturally Obsessed.


2.Tell me about YOU
 Hi ladies, my name is Shana. I'm a wife, proud parent to my 3 year old niece, daughter, sister and student.  Constantly growing as a woman and striving to be better. Most people think I'm very serious, but I'm actually quite silly and can be pretty random at times lol. Reality TV, Food Network and cupcakes are my guilty pleasures. Oh yeah and I'm team PISCES!!
 
 3. Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)
I shampoo and I try to do a Cassia Obovata treatment once a month.  I keep forgetting to order more Cassia which is the reason I 've been slacking on treatments, my hair loves and misses this stuff.  I co-wash and deep condition once a week. I don't straighten my hair very often, maybe once or twice a year to trim my ends.  When I do flat iron it I use beyond The Zone's Turn Up The Heat to protect my hair. 
Some of my favorite products at the moment are Bee Mine Nourishing Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk & Tea Tree Triple Threat Conditioners, Bee Mine Curly Butter & Hair Milk, Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner, Safi Avocado Shea Butter and Clear EcoStyler Gel.
At this time I'm obsessed with twist outs and braid outs.  They are the simplest hair styles to do on natural hair, besides the puff.  I usually twist or braid on wet hair, rock some cute updo's for a couple days and then BAM...a bangin twist or braid out.  Saves me tons of time and hair, since my hair doesn't tangle easily with these styles.
 
4. Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type?
My texture is of the 4a variety, there is a little bit of 3c on the top...just a little bit.  My curls are tight and kinky and if I don't detangle properly or wrap my hair at night, I'll have single strand knots like crazy.  I get tons of shrinkage, which used to bother me, now I embrace it my style options are endless because of it.  Trust me trying to fight it will only lead to you to being frustrated.  Low manipulation and protective styling has done wonders for the health my hair.


 
5. Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural?
I didn't really get many negative reactions from others, my insecurities came from within.  I was so nervous and scared of what others would think that I hid my hair under micro braids for about 3-4 months.  During that time I really had time to think about what going natural would me for me. And then I got over myself and took the weave out.  Since going natural I've motivated my friend, my sister and two of my sister in laws to go natural.   
 
6. Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I was waay to chicken to BC and rock a TWA, so I transitioned for a year and a half until I felt I was ready.  I finally cut the relaxed ends in December of 2007.  However I didn't begin to wear my natural hair until March or April of 2008.  I've been weave and relaxer free ever since!
 


7. What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
 That they are mine! Doesn't matter if we share the same numbers and letters(hair typing), my hair is my own.  I try my best to encourage other naturals to love and appreciate the own like I do. Telling my you wish you had my hair is not flattering to me...at all! You can't allow yourself to get so caught up someone else's texture that you lose interest in your own. 

8. Where can we find you on the web?

9. Anything EXTRA you want us to know? The key to enjoying and really thriving through your natural hair journey is love and acceptance of self.  Self is love is golden and can't nobody take it away from you.  Thanx for the feature Alex and be beautiful ladies ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment