Monday, July 26, 2010

Captured Curls: Gabby



Everyone, I am happy to introduce the beautiful Gabby as today's feature.

Read her story below:




Tell me about YOU

My name is Gabby. I’m 20 years old. I’m a Military brat, but I call the DMV (by way of Virginia) home. I’m about to enter my 3rd year at Spelman College as an Economics Major with a minor in Media & Business Writing. I’m fluent in three languages: English, German and Spanish. I LOVE to talk and can talk about anything and everything under the sun. Oh & I’m a Gemini (which probably explains the whole talk thing, huh? Lol)

 Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)

My hair care regimen is pretty simple. I either wear my hair out or put it in two strand twists, which I’ll wear overnight and then will wear the twist out for about two or three days.
If I wear my hair out, I’ll co-wash it with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or Hello Hydration, detangle with my Jilbere shower comb, put in a leave in conditioner, like Giovanni Leave-In & and oil or will use Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC). I’m an avid user of oils. My main oils are coconut oil (EVCO) and olive oil (EVOO). My hair also loves Shea butter, which I definitely use to deep condition. I’m in the process right now of adding honey to my hair regimen because I’ve been reading it’s a good moisturizer since it’s a humectant.
At night I am an ADVOCATE of satin. I definitely use a satin bonnet (because I sleep wild and a scarf won’t cut it) and satin pillowcase.
As far as heat, the only heat I use regularly that of my hooded dryer when I’m deep condition.  I did straighten my hair this past April though just for fun though. I’m actually due for my first natural hair cut in about two weeks since I decided to wait a year before I cut it ( My 1 year Curly-versary was 7/11/2010 !)

 Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type

I’m really not good at this hair type thing, but to give it a shot I would say I’m 3c/4a with a random patch of loose I-don’t-know-what-kind curls at the crown of my head. But no matter where the curls are on my head, they are all really spirally ringlets. For my hair, I’ve learned that oil rinsing definitely helps my hair in preventing single strand knots. That and keeping my hands out of my hair, which I struggle with because it’s so much FUN! (lol). I don’t try to do too much with my hair, just let it be.



Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural

The reaction that I got was all positive, especially from my family. My dad, funnily enough, was really excited. He was like “I’m so proud of you not putting those horrible chemicals in your hair. I missed my curly-haired little girl.” That made my day.

Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?

I tried to transition. I REALLY tried, but patience is not my virtue. I think because I knew what my hair looked like (I didn’t get my first relaxer until I was about 12) I had no desire to wait. My last relaxer was right before a fashion show I had to do April 2009 and at the time I had a short haircut. So after 3 months of growing out the relaxer, I BC’d and never looked back. J

 What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?

I love them because they are mine. While other people may have hair similar to mine no one will ever have a head of curls exactly like the ones I have. I feel like they fit me more than straight hair, they’re like an extension of my personality. Plus, God, gave them to me. Who am I to alter God’s wonderful creation? 


 Where can we find you on the web?
On the web you can follow me on twitter.

 Anything EXTRA you want us to know?

For anybody that wants to go natural do it. Whether it’s transitioning or BC-ing,  you NEED to do it. It’ll be the best, healthiest, and most empowering decision you could’ve ever made.  And I love your blog it’s so awesome!  And thanks for letting me be a part of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment