Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Have You Ever Been Straight Up LAUGHED At in Public...


*** See Update Below***
...because of your hair??? I have. It happened today as I was driving down the highway. And I must admit, it kinda hurt. I was surprised at just how much, actually, and I immediately told myself that some people only see big afro hair atop the heads of silly painted clowns. Or, they must think I'm single-handedly trying to "bring back the 70s". Either way, the look on the faces of the two guys in the pick-up next to me was shock and awe, and not in a good way. This happened to me another time in Wal-Mart. I had just walked into Wally World, approached the cart section to get a cart, and I just happened to look up and catch a glimpse of some guys and a lady sitting in the McDonalds immediately in front of me. They were looking dead at me, in the face, and were laughing. I thought at first that maybe I caught them in the middle of a joke or something but then one of the guys had the woman next to him turn around to gawk at me too and I knew it was the hair.

On both occasions, I was wearing my hair out and huge, probably standing up on my head, not down in a controlled, twist-out, curly look. Usually when I leave the house looking like that, I am the only one I see with such big hair. So I get that it is something to look at if you're not used to seeing massive fros. But I would never dream of laughing in someone's face. Like they're not even human! It made me think of all the times I have seen overweight people on tv talk about how people laugh at them in their face as they walk through the mall or get on the bus. It is really sad how we can treat each other, not realizing that everybody has feelings and wants to be treated nicely.

So, that was just something that happened to me today that I thought I would share. Have any of you experienced something similar with your hair or otherwise? How did you handle it? Did it impact how you feel about yourself at all or lead you to question/change your look?

***Update***
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your comments and support. You better believe that I have NO intentions to change or tamp down the big hair for a few naysayers! It just never fails to surprise me how people can be so silly and thoughtless. Too bad for them!

So, one commenter asked to see pics of what my hair looked like. I did not take any from yesterday but these below are pretty much identical to how it was. These pics are from the DC cherry blossom festival from a few months ago. I think it was an old twist out that blew up in the humid air! Not bad I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment