Friday, August 7, 2009

Remix-CocoShea


Hey guys! This is just a quick post about a CocoShea mix I made for my hair that I used to do the twists in this post. In the past, I wrote about a concoction I made using shea butter, coconut oil, aloe gel, rose water,glycerin, and some other stuff. While it worked great as a moisturizer for twists, braids, and other "up" styles, any attempt at an "out" style like a twist/braid-out spelled defeat as my hair attracted moisture from the air. My twist outs became puffy and frizzy within a matter of minutes in this NC humidity.

So, I decided to eliminate most of the ingredients except the first two, shea butter and coconut oil. I used a large tub of the African Shea Butter and a few tablespoons of the coconut oil. I whipped it all together with a hand mixer and let it settle. Simple!

For some, this mix might weigh too heavily on the hair. But for my 3c/mostly 4a-4b hair, the consistency and heft are wondrous!

I love the Shea/Coconut oil combo because the shea is a wonderful sealant, especially for the ends, and the coconut penetrates deep within the hair shaft. It is much easier to emulsify in my hands than plain shea and it melts into my hair like butta. Click to read my posts about Shea Butter and Coconut Oil.

How I Use the CocoShea Mix:
After washing/conditioning, moisturizing (with some kind of leave in): I take a quarter size dollop and emulsify inbetween my hands. I then apply this to a sectioned off piece of hair in a downward motion, making sure I coat the hairs from root to tip. I then two-strand twist, braid, or whatever style to set the hair.

During the Week: My hair does not really need any more moisture during the week unless it is really dry out so I only apply more of the CocoShea to the ends of my twists when I retwist at night.

Pros:
*Heaviness of the CocoShea weighs my hair down just enough so I don't get much frizz
*Using this as a sealant on my ends has cut down on some of the knotting
*Hair feels moisturized and protected all week
*Applying this to wet hair makes it feel smooth and super soft once dry
*Considerably cheap for the amount of product
*Can be used on the body as well as the hair

Cons:
*Heavy scent (but is not so noticeable after hair is dry)
*Might be a little greasy for some people
*Umm...can't think of another con just yet!

So in the end, I like the old mix for moisturizing twists or braids but for a style I want to wear out, this CocoShea mix is where it's at!

No comments:

Post a Comment