Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Reader Question!!! My Two-Strand Twist Updo

One Naturally Leslie reader emailed me this question after seeing my post on The Pangaea's Garden Project:

In today's post I would like to know how did you pin your hair like that with the twist. I absolutely think it is fab and would love to do it myself. Can you feature it on your blog or email it to me please?

So here's the updo in question, with pics once again from the talented Mr. Christie of TPGP...


Side view
Back view
I wish I could say that this style was executed with some great technique but the truth is, it was rainy and humid that day, I had just done these twists the night before, and I did not want to waste all that effort on a twist-out that would surely swell and poof out of position by noon.

This style is both functional and protective and super easy to accomplish. So here's what I did:

~After washing, conditioning, detangling, and moisturizing I simply did small/medium two-strand twists all over my head.
~I pinned each of the sides (by my ears) toward the middle of my head, overlapping the twists hanging back/down from the front, using black bobby pins.
~ Then I took the ones from the bottom and pinned them up, overlapping them so no ends were sticking out.

I don't know if that explained it well, it is really hard to talk through, but it is really simple to achieve and there is no wrong way to do it. The object is simply to get the twists pinned up and leave no ends sticking out. Each time I do an updo, it looks totally different!
_____________________________________________________

Now, while we're on the subject, I wanted to share my style for today.

Last night I did my normal wash routine. And btw, if you have been sleeping on Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner like I have, you gotta get you some ASAP (once you've finished your current condish of course, not trying to enable pj-ism lol) I used it as a leave-in under my CocoShea mix and my hair feels incredibly soft, moist, and overall amazing!
Anywhoo, so I two-strand twisted my whole head in small-medium twists, sealed the ends with my CocoShea mix, then set them, three at a time, on different sized perm rods. My mom used to get her hair styled similar to this for like $80 at a natural hair place in Durham, can you believe that!

I sat under my hooded dryer for 20 mins, went to bed with a satin cap, then took down the rollers today. I did not unravel the coils or the twists, and I wore them to work today. Here are some pics of what I did:

All rolled up!




After taking one roller out:




Rolled twists left in spirals. Front, back and side views...

.

As the week goes on I plan to unravel, untwist, and finger style a bit to see where that leads me. I will try to post pics of that soon! In the meantime, I will sleep with a satin scarf at night to protect the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment