Monday, August 24, 2009

Fresh-Squeezed Fotki Juice: Mrssmif


I have been stalkin Mrssmif's fabulous fotki on the regular and was so glad she agreed to be a part of this series. I love her styles and I'm sure you will too.

NL: What motivated you to go natural?


In 2004, I felt led to start eating better and taking better care of my temple. As I began eating better, and working out more often, I ran into a problem. Working out made me sweat. Sweat made my hair frizz. I didn't want my hair to frizz, so I wouldn't work out. The cycle would continue. Then one day, when praying for good health, and weight loss, God revealed to me that my hair was making me fat! LOL What kinda sense did that make, not working out just to have straight hair?! Besides, I was so worried about being organic, and not putting toxic things IN my body, yet, I was constantly putting them ON my body. I was always known for my long straight, sleek, styles. But I knew what it took to maintain those styles, and it just wasn't worth the health sacrifice anymore. But I was very concerned about what others thought, and my hair was very much a part of my identity (where was India Arie when you needed her,lol), so it was quite a struggle for me. So, against all odds, I let go (of the perm and the pounds about 40 =) thank God)...

NL: Your twists and braids look amazing! How do you create your styles?

It's so weird to hear people say,lol, because I never touched my hair until going natural! I'm not a creative/hands on person, so if I can do a style ANYONE can learn to do it!

I always start w/deep conditioned hair. and then braid/twist semi-damp/almost dry, stretched hair, using either homemade shealoe, or coconut oil, and seal w/castor oil. I use the grab and twist/braid method with all styles except the micro braids (with my own hair) that I'm wearing now. My two reasons for doing this is 1) I really stink at parting, lol and 2) I don't want spaces in my hair for twistout/braidouts. After twisting/braiding, I usually air dry, wearing a hat or scarf if I need to go out, and then untwist/braid for a nice wavy braidout. Or wear them as is, if small and done neatly as a protective style.

NL: What is your typical hair (wash and style)/product regimen?

To shampoo, I use liquid castile soap (Trader Joes carries it pretty cheap like $2), and once in a while if I feel any buildup, I'll add a small bit (like 1tsp-1tblspn) of baking soda to the castile to help remove it. To condition, I use mayo (either store bought, or homemade), or other egg & oil based mixture (homemade) and allow to sit with a shower cap for anywhere from 15 min -2 hours, depending on how much time I have/how lazy I'm being, lol. I then rinse, using lukewarm water (very important when using products w/egg, hot water scrambles the egg in your hair,lol). I then do a acv rinse using 1/4cup acv to 3 3/4cup softened/distilled water. I do this once or twice/week in the winter, 2-3x's /month in summer. In summer I mostly co-wash using only a conditioner that meets my above requirements, and just detangle in the shower (with/conditioner in hair), rinse and go. When/if I feel buildup, I refer back to the shampoo routine above.

For moisturizing in between /immediately after washes, I use homemade leave-in and homemade shealoe for twisting/braiding, in the winter (heavier moisture). In the summer I use a homemade curly pudding for wash and go hair (lighter moisture).

NL: What is one thing you know now about being natural that you wish you knew beforehand?

That my hair would flourish w/o chemicals! I often look back now and wish I'd done it sooner. I worried so much about how short my hair would look, and if "natural hair would look right on me", as so many other people do. Now I just realize that this is what my hair wanted all along, I was just putting up a fight.


NL: Is there anything else that you want NL readers to know?

That it was 95% mental (at least for me!). Once I just got enough guts and did it, it was so liberating! Don't be concerned about what others will think, or worried that it doesn't look like you want it to right away. Have patience with your hair, and the rewards will pay off in the end. Like I said, I didn't know the first thing about hair, having paid others for years to style it for me (I never even washed my own hair!), but now I enjoy trying new things (some work, many don't) and taking good care of my temple in every way. Experiment with new styles ONLY when you have time, and don't have anywhere important to be, this will take much of the frustration out of time spent doing your hair. And give you time to perfect the style before presenting yourself to the world. I learned this the hard way, lol.. Try not to worry about what others think. You never know who may be watching your confidence and follow suit. I was so concerned about what my friends and family would say, yet they are my biggest supporters now (my mom and 2 out of 3 of my sisters have gone natural!). My youngest sis makes even the most relaxed sistahs wanna go natural, simply because of the confidence level that she exudes (that I wish I had), and she has the thickest texture of us all! And last but not least, don't tell yourself that natural hair "does not look right" on you. God makes no mistakes, He gave you the perfect hair...for you.

Braid-out

Two-strand twist bantu knot-out

Individual Mini Braids (this is what really got me!)
Thanks to Mrssmif for sharing with all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment