Friday, August 14, 2009

Fresh-Squeezed Fotki Juice: Stephelise

Our FSFJ series is back with the lovely Stephelise! I chose her album because she is transitioning to natural and has great pics and tips to share. So enjoy her story and when you're done, check her out on fotki.




NL: How long have you been transitioning and what led to your decision to go natural?

I have been transitioning for 5 months now. My last relaxer was March 5, 2009. I decided that I was tired of my limp flat thin hair. I had color put in that really broke my hair in the crown and my last relaxer left me with a small chemical burn on the nape. I finally took a look in the mirror and knew it was time for me to make a change but not sure what exactly. While watching a youtube video, I came across a young lady who spoke about her natural hair. It was then that things clicked and I knew this is what I NEEDED to do for myself.

NL: How have family, friends, coworkers reacted to your decision to the transition?

My family is very supportive, especially my husband. My mom supports me, but is also in a wait and see mode. She wants to observe my transition to see if it is something that she would want to do as well. Some of my friends were very surprised of my decision, but they supported me none the less. Others thought that I wouldnt be able to go through with it. My coworkers consist primarily of men, and they know what Im doing after I broke it down for them. They dont really care one way or the other though.

My husband actually was the first to suggest I go natural at a time when I was not even trying to hear it. A few of my friends think Im brave and one thinks that its going to get on my nerves. Of course I hear a few of them say they cant have short hair or that their hair is too thick or too course to go natural. To that I say it’s all in how you take care of it.

NL: What products do you use to meet the needs of your relaxed and natural hair textures?

While transitioning I use Aphogee Moisture Shampoo,2 minute reconstructor,
Apohgee Leave in Conditioner
, Infusium 23,Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructurizer, Roots of Nature Shea Butter green tea Strengthening Oil Moisturizer, a Shea butter mixture with natural and essential oils. I also use Cantu Shea butter. When needed I use an Aphogee 2 step protein treatment, I deep condition at least twice a month and shampoo about once a week depending on product buildup, otherwise I just cowash instead.

NL: Describe how you achieve some of your favorite transition styles.

As my hair grows out, my favorite style is not looking quite the same as it used to. But I still love bantu knot outs. After performing my hair regimen, I lightly diffuse my hair on low setting to get it mostly dry. Then I bantu knot my hair in no more than 5 bantu knots for fullness. I also apply a little Cantu Shea butter on my hair before knotting. I sleep on it, take it down the next day, and separate the curls. Comes out full and curly.

NL: What are you most looking forward to about being completely natural?

Being able to learn about my true texture without chemicals added. And of course, not having to run from the rain anymore or steer clear of water rides because I dont want to mess my hair up.:)

NL: Is there anything you wish you had known before beginning the transition to natural?

I wish I had known not to get over zealous in purchasing products. It would have been nice to have known exactly what I needed to buy and what I could have waited on buying. Im trying really hard not to turn into a PJ (product junkie). I have resisted in purchasing a lot of hair products for now.

NL: Is there anything else you would like Naturally Leslie readers to know?

Before anyone decides to transition to natural, make sure you do your homework first. When you transition, youre not only transforming your hair, but youre transforming your mind. Your whole image of beauty is evolved from thinking straight hair is better more manageable hair. Also, dont go natural thinking that your hair is going to be a certain texture. Just make sure that youre in a mindset to accept what you are born with and love it to the fullest. Love yourself Naturally the way God intended it to be!



Thanks again to Stephelise for sharing her transition experiences with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment