Monday, June 15, 2009

40+ Naturals: Meet Gwen!

Hi everyone! Please meet Gwen, a beautiful 48 yo Natural and the voice behind Mature Natural Weblog. She gives great tips on hair health that any natural can use. Check her out!

When did you decide to go natural and what went into that decision?

I was 41 and had permed my hair for 16 years. Health issues brought with it concerns about what type of products I used on my body. I also had come to the realization that my hair was jacked up (dry scalp and hair, breakage) even though I saw my hairstylist faithfully every two weeks. It was time for a change.

Did you transition over time or do a big chop?

I transitioned for one month and couldn't take the two textures, so I big chopped down to a 1-inch twa.


What are some of your favorite products and styles?

I love Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme. Can't live without it. Lustrasilk, aloe vera gel, and olive oil are staples in my routine. My styles are low maintenance and simple. I alternate between wash and gos, puffs, and buns.

Describe your expectations and feelings before you made the leap to natural. How did you feel post-transition?

I didn't perm my hair until I was 25 years old, so natural hair was not new to me. I worked as an HR administrative assistant, but had no problem wearing a curly fro or a puff to work back in the day (early 80's). Although I was familiar with my natural hair, finding the right products was the most frustrating for me.

What have been the reactions of family, friends, etc to the newly natural you?

They weren't surprised at all, but thought it would be temporary. Would you believe that after seven years natural, I still get the occasional suggestion to relax my hair from them? I just tell 'em I love my natural hair and it's here to stay.


Describe what it was like to return to work after going natural.

Initially, I received plenty raised eyebrows, stares, and questions as to why I cut my hair. It's amazing how some people feel their opinions really matter.


Overall, what has been your greatest discovery about being natural?

My greatest discovery? The key to healthy hair is a healthy scalp. I rarely put anything directly on my scalp and focus mainly on keeping it clean and free of buildup. My hair is healthier than it has ever been.

What advice would you give to another 40+ woman who is considering going natural?

At this stage of your life, make time for yourself a priority. You deserve it, so choose natural. Trust, you'll have more "pamper me" time on your hands than you could ever imagine. I'm 48 by the way.



Thanks Gwen!!! Be sure to check out her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment