Tuesday, June 9, 2009

40+ Naturals: Meet Aurore!

Today's 40+ Naturals feature is the stunning Aurore! I came across her pics on fotki and just knew she had to be a part of this series. Like a previous feature, she went back and forth between chemicals and natural hair before deciding to stay natural. I enjoyed reading her responses, especially number 8. I'm loving these mature perspectives!


1. When did you decide to go natural and what went into that decision?

I've been natural for most of my adult life. I "relaxed" my hair for maybe two years at a time off and on over the years

2. Did you transition over time or do a big chop?

I'd do a big chop whenever I didn't want straight hair anymore

3. What are some of your favorite products and styles?

A twa or locs are my favorite styles and I don't really have favorite shampoos but i do like Kera Care's Moisturizing Conditioner and Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonaise

4. Describe your expectations and feelings before you made the leap to natural. How did you feel post-transition?

I always feel great about wearing my hair natural and I enjoy the low-cost, low- maintenance aspects of it

5. What have been the reactions of family, friends, etc to the newly natural you?

There are many naturals in my immediate family so it's not a big deal

6. Describe what it was like to return to work after going natural.

I recently cut off my 4 year old locs and most of my co-workers preferred my new twa. I'm now "twisted" with intent to loc again and have gotten mixed reviews which are of no consequence to me whatsoever. There are so many ways of wearing natural hair with professionalism and flair.

7. Overall, what has been your greatest discovery about being natural?

I feel better about myself with natural hair, authenticity is sexy. I couldn't imagine weaving plastic onto my scalp to feel attractive. I've never seen a beautiful weave. Natural sisters walk with a certain confidence that artificial straight hair cannot give to us.

8. What advice would you give to another 40+ woman who is considering going natural?

Natural is beautiful. Go for it!....I remember coming out of the beauty parlor the last time I relaxed my hair and wondering why in the world i did it...yet again.It cost me a bundle. It was extremely humid that day, the subway was a sauna, the train was delayed, and an hour later I had cotton-candy hair. My date suggested that I give him the big bucks the next time and he'd do my hair whenever. I looked at his loced mane with envy and as soon as I had an inch of natural hair I cut off the relaxer and loced up myself. That's how I plan to wear my hair from now on. I really think that it makes no sense to make millionaires out of other ethnic groups with the money that it takes to change our God-given beauty. They look down on us, don't hire any of us, give nothing back to our communities, and yet we keep funneling our hard-earned cash to them.....senseless!

Aurore graciously sent these beautiful shots for our viewing pleasure! Short hair or long, she looks amazing!






This seriously makes me wanna revisit the thought of locing myself, she makes it look so good! Need some more inspiration?? Check out Aurore's fotki here.

Thanks Aurore!

No comments:

Post a Comment