Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Natural First Lady?


Hey guys! Now that we have a beautiful Black first family in the White House, it got me to thinking about how it will affect America's idea of the Black family in general. Of course like any race or ethnic group, there are different types of families within each group. But, it is rare that an intact Black family (I mean a father and mother married with children) is shown on t.v. and it not be a sitcom like the Cosby show. Another thought I have had is how Michelle Obama has already become a style icon and her two adorable daughters have made quite an impact on the fashion scene as well (J Crew Inauguration Outfits anyone??) I've noticed that when Sasha and Malia are not at an "event" they tend to wear their hair in natural styles like braids and two-strand twists. I think that is so awesome! In much the same way that President Obama's election has such significance for Black men, imagine the impact First Lady Michelle Obama could make on women and girls by rocking a natural head of hair! I like her hair the way it is and I think she always looks very elegant. But I can't help indulging in the thought that we could have a first lady with natural hair. What do you all think? Do you think Mrs. Obama might one day embrace her kinks and curls for all the world to see? Or, do you think America is not ready for its first lady to have natural hair?

Apparently, I am not along in my thinking. This article from KNX 1070 News addresses this very issue! Here is an excerpt:

A hair change shouldn't be a radical notion; every beauty magazine I've ever read trumpets makeovers every month. But black images -- indeed, the very idea of beauty -- are still inherently political, mirrors of our national mood about race and ancient tensions between reality and what we prefer to see. Hair is a particularly good mirror. A reality check: In this alleged new era of racial enlightenment, how would we see Michelle if she switched to braids, twists, curls or dreads, if she looked more like the black person she is? We applaud the sparkling new role models in the White House. But do we expect the Obamas to define a new black mainstream or to hew to an idealized model created by a white mainstream that blacks internalized long ago? Read the whole article here.

I specifically like the last question in this excerpt. I recently posted to ask how do we define culture. How do we define Black? Will the Obamas be able to create a new idea about Blackness in America? If Mrs. Obama does "go natural" will WE accept her? ( I say "we" because sometimes we are more critical of ourselves than others are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment