Friday, February 6, 2009

The magic of whipped!


Hey guys! So we all know how wonderful pure Shea butter can be for hair and skin. But sometimes, working with it can be a bit difficult, depending on the texture and consistency of the batch you get. Especially when it comes to putting it my hair, sometimes Shea butter can be a bit sticky. So as I was reading about some products online, it occurred to me... why don't you just whip it! I just bought some Shea butter last week but I have only used it as a skin moisturizer, avoiding the task of having to emulsify each little bit to smooth it into my hair. I like the after effect of Shea-buttered strands but the actual application process leaves something to be desired. So......I grabbed my Shea from under the bathroom counter and proceeded to my kitchen cabinet to see what I had on hand to mix with. I didn't have a recipe to go by, I just decided to wing it! I saw that I have some extra virgin olive oil so I went with that. This is what I did:

1. Put all the Shea butter chunks into a bowl.
2. Mix slowly with the hand mixer to create a thick "paste".
3. Slowly add a little water and mix with the hand mixer on medium.
4. Slowly add olive oil and continue to mix with hand mixer on medium.
5. Whip the butter until a fluffy "cake batter" consistency is reached.

Ok, so let me make a disclaimer and say that I did not measure anything. I have no idea how much I added of water/oil, but I would guestimate between 1/8 and 1/4 of a cup. I went searching after the fact for Shea butter recipies and there are many out there. I found this one company on you tube that shows step-by-step how to make a version of whipped Shea butter (see video below!).

I was excited by the soft texture of the butter so I ran to the bathroom to apply to my hair. Well, my hair loves the stuff, as it did when it was just plain old Shea. But this time, I could massage it directly into my hair without all the struggle! It wasn't heavy or sticky and was absorbed almost immediately. My strands feel moist and happy!

When I do it again, I plan to eliminate the water and add some essential oils for scent, maybe somethig vanilla-ish. I might also go with jojoba oil and grapeseed oil instead of olive. There are many versions of whipped butters on the market, especially within the natural hair market, but I figure why buy when you can make your own! So, give it a try, let me know how it goes for you. I plan to keep playing with my recipe until I find something I love for both hair and body. Happy whipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment