Sunday, February 15, 2009

For my next Shea butter mix...

I have been thinking about my last Shea butter mix and was wondering what I might do differently next time. I was watching some you tube vids about Shea mixing and came across a comment regarding adding some kind of natural preservative to the mix to increase shelf life. One that was mentioned is honey. Click here to read an article describing why honey is considered a preservative. In my mind honey seems like it might make the mix too sticky, although it's probably be worth a try. I also wanted to add some oils to scent the Shea butter since the nutty aroma is a little strong for my taste.


I realized that in my first mix I added a little water. I now know that adding water and not adding a preservative can render the mix a haven for mold and bacteria to flourish in. EWWWWW! So, if you want to make your own mixes like I do, don't forget to add some kind of natural preservative to prevent mold from growing.


There are other natural preservatives which can be used in making your own mixes. Click here to read how essential oils, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract and more can be used.


So as you can see, there is a wide array of things you can use in your mixes. I might add some lavender essential oil next time which would kill two birds, mold and aroma, with one stone! If anybody out there has a recipe they use and would like to share, email it to me (Leslie22sirena@yahoo.com) and I'll post it for everyone to enjoy. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment