Monday, August 16, 2010

Is Your Natural Hair Too Much Work???

Photo Credit
I love looking around You Tube to get hair inspiration. Lately I have been looking for different versions of mini braids, kind of like the ones I had a last year, to wear to Cancun. I didn't want to spend money getting them done again and I was looking for other natural ladies who did mini braids themselves.

One channel I found featured a young woman who had recently put in a set of pixie braids on her short natural hair. I remember thinking how beautiful she is and how well the style suited her face. I kept watching the video over and over, partly because her hair was amazing (and I wish I had tried that when my hair was that length) and partly because I just though the colors of her scarf, earrings and skin looked so rich together.
So, a few days ago, I go back to her channel to see more of her videos and to hopefully see more cute styles. Imagine my surprise when the first video I see, the woman on the screen is sporting a straight, flipped do. It was very cute but clearly not "natural"! At first I thought, oh so it looks like she straightened it out for a change or a length check or whatever. Then, I pressed play and realized what I should have surmised from the title! It clearly says Natural to Relaxed.

Now, I know plenty of women go natural then go back to relaxing their hair. Happens all the time. Some of you probably have done the same at some point. I guess what surprised me the most was that she felt her relaxed hair was easier. Don't get me wrong, I have heard that same sentiment expressed from countless other natural-back to relaxed folks. That is usually followed by naturals who condemn or try to make the person feel like they just didn't give it enough time or they were somehow complicating it for themselves. I mean, who are we to judge another person's lifestyle, routine, time management, etc? Sometimes, usually when I'm detangling, I feel like my hair is a lot of work too! I don't believe that relaxing would ever be an option for me again but I see that it is for other women.

So my questions are for you all. First, do you ever feel like your hair is more work now than when you were natural? Second, are there any ladies out there who are currently relaxed or who locked to get away from dealing with a bunch of loose natural hair?

Side note: Still in Cancun. It's LOVELY! If you've never done an all-inclusive before, put it on your list! I will share some pics when I get back and internet is limited here so I might not get to moderate all your comments/answer emails immediately. But I will get to them as I can so please don't stop sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment