Friday, August 27, 2010

Ask Alex- Out of the country with Natural Hair

Today's Ask Alex question is interesting!
I have never experienced a issue where I couldn't get my hair done
or find a solution while out of country.
Probably because I have never traveled abroad before.
Nelly, I tried my best to answer your GREAT question.
:)

Hi Alex!

 My name is Nelly and I am a very loyal reader of your blog.I'm currently transitioning. I've kept my hair in cornrows and box braids all summer. I plan on BCing once my natural hair has grown out to a comfortable length. HOWEVER, I'm studying abroad in Ireland for a semester and I am unsure what to do with my hair. I plan on getting new box braids the week I leave, but there's no way I can keep them in for 3 and a half months. I figured I'd have them in until October. But I don't know what else to do with my hair once I unbraid it. I want to keep it in a protective style, especially since Dublin is cold and rainy. I also worry about what will be available to me in terms of haircare products. I don't know if you traveled abroad but I could sure use some haircare advice.

Much love and Many thanks,
Nelly

Nelly,
It is so good to hear that you are wearing your hair in protective styles while transitioning!
That is the best way to allow your hair to grow and it keeps manipulation to a minimum.
I have never traveled abroad but I can say that after you take your last set of braids out
you can do some cool things with your hair.
You can wear twist outs, braid outs, flats twists, up-dos and more (depending on your hair length).
Also, to camouflage those straight ends you can put flexi rods or rollers on the ends 
of your hair to give the style you choose to use a cohesive curly look. 
I would also suggest investing in some cute head scarfs or beanie style hats (also called Tams).
These accessories can easily spruce up any outfit and/or hairstyle
while protecting your hair from the harsh winter weather.
As far as hair products, you will most likely have to start ordering from online stores.
There are awesome online natural hair care shops. 
I do most of my hair care shopping online
and I love it.
International shipping may be a little expensive though.
Another option for hair care products is to start making your own.
YouTube has GREAT "How To" videos.
You can easily find out how to make hair butters,
leave in conditioners, shampoo and more.
It's a fun and easy way to whip up things that you know work well for you.
You can buy ingredients in bulk from wholesalers online.

Best Wishes,
Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment