Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ask Alex- When can I expect hair growth?


Hi Everyone!
Let me first start by saying THANK YOU for re-sending your questions!
That was SUCH a life saver.
I will be answering questions in the order in which they were received.
I hope to answer at least 2 a week.
I have been very busy and school is about to start so 
bare with me :)

Below is a question from a YOUNG new natural named Ayesha.
I was so happy to have such a young girl email me.
It's so great to know that our youth is becoming more conscience about their hair and how to 
take care of it.

Read her questions below:

Alex,

 I am a 15 year old girl who has recently BC'd so that I could go natural and get away from the chemicals. Can you give any tips on hair for going natural. What are the do and don'ts for going natural? And how long do you think before I see any result in my hair growing?

Here is the answer I gave here:




Ayesha-


Thank you for emailing me your question! I am so happy to know that you are a new natural on a quest to have healthy hair! I will try my best to answer your question. Let's start with your hair growing inquiry.To be completely honest, I can't tell you how fast your hair will grow or when it will start to grow long. Your hair is unique to you, that's what makes being natural so fun and exciting. Everyone's hair grows in differently and at a different pace, during the growing out process you will start to learn and know your hair. Eventually, you will see a pattern and will you may be able to calculate your own growth. Hair in general usually grows about a 1/2 inch per month but some researchers say that African American hair tends to grow at a slower rate. Diet, water intake, exercise and hair care can help with the growth process and overall health of your hair. To make growing out your hair easier you can always wear extensions such as, braids, weaves, twists. These styles in the natural hair community are called "protective styles". Wearing protective styles does not only protect your hair but they give you versatility while growing out your TWA (teeny weeny afro). The whole point of PS is to protect your ends from damage and breakage. When that is done correctly length can be retained and your ends will stay strong and healthy. As far as the "Do's and Don't" of natural hair here is a list of what I DO while caring for my natural hair. Like I mentioned before, once you learn YOUR hair you will be able to categorize what works for you. :)
DO'S

* Drink lots of water
*Take vitamins
*ONLY brush or comb hair while wet
*Use wide tooth combs when styling
* Stay away from products with alcohol
*Deep Condition regularly (I DC my hair 2-3x a week)
* Wear protective styles
*Trim every 6-12 weeks a(as your hair gets longer you may want to consider trimming)
*Massage your scalp with your favorite oil to increase blood flow (I used Vatika Oil)
*Use heat sparingly
*When sleeping use a satin bonnet or scarf to keep hair from drying out

Thank you again for submitting your question!



I wish you the best on your new journey! Congrats for going natural.
Much Love,
Alex 



No comments:

Post a Comment