Sunday, October 25, 2009

What's Your Opinion: Are We Stuck Up?

Ladies. Weigh in for me. Are we natural haired women stuck up? Like hair snobs because we have left the creamy crack behind? I actually went to see Chris Rock's Good Hair last night with my mom, on a whim, and I think we were the only two women with natural hair in there. I didn't pay much attention at first but as time went on, I noticed myself laughing at parts (and there was no one else laughing) or crinkling my nose at things that I deemed ridiculous (like spending $1000 for a weave when you don't have lights). Then all of a sudden I got self-conscious. I began to wonder if when the lights came on, the non-natural ladies in the room would look at me with a critical eye, like I thought I was 'above' them for not dealing with the bull crap that can come with relaxers and weaves. I don't know. I just got a weird feeling and wondered if I, on some level, am stuck up about hair.

What do you think? Has this ever happened to you? Do you catch yourself having critical thoughts about women who choose to straighten? Have you even been accused of it? One of the points made by some of the people in the film is that hair is just another way for women, especially Black women, to try and one-up each other. Like breast or butt size, skin tone, and weight. Like we should not 'hate' on other women for the choices they make about their bodies and lifestyles. It's complex and I'm sure you have some very interesting opinions. As always, guys jump right in on this one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment