Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fresh-Squeezed Fotki Juice: Sarita-marie2!


When I saw this young woman's hair I had to have her on NL! Aside from being totally cute and a creative stylist, she also runs an online store on etsy.com where she features her very own knitted items. Way cool! Check out her hair, pics, and routine. Thanks Sarita-marie2!


NL: Your hair is fabulous! How long have you been natural and what led you to that decision?

Technically, I've always been natural, but my grandmother used to press my hair faithfully every 1-2 weeks. I stopped getting my hair straightened when I was a sophomore in college because I was away from home. In my freshman year, I started experimenting with a pressing comb myself on an electric stove...I knew I was doing a lot of damage to my hair by the way it felt afterward and the amount of hair that ended up on the floor! By my sophomore year I had it in my mind that the health of my hair was much more important than trying to fit in with straight hair. It took me about a week to find Nappturality.com--the first natural hair care website that took the time to answer all of my questions about how to take care of, and style my hair. The women in the photo gallery all looked beautiful with their hair natural. Once I got the hang of it, I was happy to embrace my thick and coarse texture.

NL: Do you have a particular styling/product regimen that you follow?


Somewhat. I usually shampoo my hair once every 2-3 weeks. I've tried the "no-poo" method and sometimes I get a lot of build up unless I "no-poo" more often. But when I do shampoo, I use Suave coconut shampoo and I ALWAYS wash my hair in at least 4-5 sections. I follow it with a thick, moisturizing conditioner for about 20 minutes. I then comb out my hair, still in sections, and rinse out. After I towel dry, I take each section and split it into about 3 smaller sections while I oil my scalp with Carol's Daughter Mimosa Honey (this smells so good!), or with a concoction of essential oils and shea butter. I always like to stretch my hair out a bit to keep my ends from getting tangled. To do this, I braid each section, unbraid and then rebraid it as it dries. My routine seems like a lot sometimes, but I enjoy caring for my hair.


NL: Tell us about your etsy store.

My etsy store is called, FeelingMoody. I knit funky collars, and accessorize them with eclectic or vintage buttons. I really like them because they're so easy to wear and the colors are easy to match with almost anything in a wardrobe, from a t-shirt to a coat.


NL: What is the best thing about being natural in your opinion?

The best thing is definitely the versatility. I can get 3 different styles just from wearing my hair in twists. Like a twisted updo, a "twist-out", and a "twist-out" updo. Even on a bad hair day, my hair looks great because it has a mind of it's own.


NL: Is there anything else you want NL readers to know about you?

I can say that I kinda found myself through my hair. In a way, I am my hair because it is a reflection of my spirit, and I love it!

Need more?? Check her out on fotki and be sure to see her cool creations at feelingmoody.etsy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment