Monday, October 5, 2009

Mallorie's Tips for TWAs

Let's try this again.....

I love it when other naturals find a system that works for them...and then they share!!! I wish I had someone to look up to when my hair was first growing out. I was clueless and had no "role model" to follow. Fortunately for you all, there's Mallorie! Isn't she adorable, btw??


Mallorie sent me this email and I just had to share it with our NL community. Check out her routine and fabulous results.

Lately, I have gotten tired of the wash 'n gos, and I can't seem to preserve a twist out for the life of me... probably because my hair is not long enough to put in a high ponytail at night ;-) Since the weather is getting colder, and my hair is growing a bit, I have been on a protective styling quest. I wanted to share this protective style that I developed for TWAs, inspired by your twisted updo that you had for the recent photoshoot you were in.


1st pic (above) shows the length of my hair untwisted
2nd pic is shrunken and curly (1 and 2 are for those who doubt their hair is long enough)
3rd, 4th and 5th are the twist style
6th pic is my day 6 and 7 twist-out look

I wash, deep condition, detangle, and twist on a Sunday. This style lasts the whole week. I take the twists out on Friday night or Saturday, and wear a cute twist-out look (ex:mohawk) look until Sunday evening rolls around. This is my 5th cycle of doing this, and I have been getting so
many compliments. People can't believe that I did it myself. To twist, I use Cantu Shea Leave-In and then dip my finger in Carol's Daughter Loc Butter, Raw Unrefined Shea Butter, or Aloe Vera Gel (I have tried each one on different occasions and they all work equally great). I make small to medium twists all over my head, and then strategically pin them back with bobby pins to the desired look... basically until they are all up and accounted for. By day 3, I like to add headbands like the Goody Stay-Put athletic bands, or even fun regular handbands with feathers or jewels.


I encourage all of my fellow TWAs to try this... who says that we can't play around with protective styling this fall too?!


I love her creativity and the results look great! Thanks for sharing this with us, Mallorie!

No comments:

Post a Comment