Monday, October 26, 2009

40+ Naturals: Meet Tara!


Welcome Tara to NL! She is a very recent 'chopper' and I love her short do! Look at that smile full of
self-confidence and pride. I love it!

NL: When did you decide to go natural and what went into that decision?
I decided to go natural Oct 17, 2009 and the reason I made that decision is I just got tired of the chemicals,salon visits and the cost of it all. I started remembering when I was young and my hair was natural I had no problems with it and wore it curly all the time....we called it big hair in those days...(smile)


NL: Did you transition over time or do a big chop?
I thought about transitioning but I was already wearing a short hairstyle and just decided to the big chop which was Oct 18, 2009

NL: What are some of your favorite products and styles?
Well as of right now I've just been going to forums getting tips for other naturals. At the moment I'm using Suave Conditioner, Jam Protein Styling Gel, Motions Daily Moisturizer, Motions Nourish Leave-in Conditioner and Olive Oil. Right now I'm just exploring what will work for me.



NL: Describe your expectations and feelings before you made the leap to natural. How did you feel post-transition?
Well my expectations was hoping that it would turn out curly like it was when I was young although in the back of my mind I was a little nervous. My post-transition feelings was that family,friends and strangers out in public would look at me strange and that my family would disapprove.

NL: What have been the reactions of family, friends, etc to the newly natural you?
Well my family was pretty shocked they loved the short cuts and styles I was wearing with the relaxers. My children were a little stunned but said if I'm comfortable with it then so where they. As for friends they didn't like it so short and some said I was cute (smile) I guess everyone has an opinion.


NL: Describe what it was like to return to work after going natural.
Well at the moment I am laid off so I really didn't have to worry about that transition (smile)

NL: Overall, what has been your greatest discovery about being natural?
Well its kinda like being reborn again to your natural state, I felt like I just took off a mask and now I can be what God intended "Natural" no additives to change who I actually am...and I feel great!

NL: What advice would you give to another 40+ woman who is considering going natural?
The advice I would give is to go back to the way God intended ....and don't change it again. God made everyone different and we should be happy with the design he has made us to be....so rock and wear it!


Thanks Tara!

***If you're 40+ and loving your natural hair, please send me an email with some pics and answers to the questions above to naturallyleslie@gmail.com so you can be featured!***

No comments:

Post a Comment