Friday, November 7, 2008

Coastal Scents Brush Comparison

I've been meaning to put up this post FOREVER so here it is finally! lol In this post I said how disappointed I was in the pink Coastal Scents brushes I bought, but after using them for a couple months now, there are a couple brushes which I think are totally worth it.


BRUSHES L to R: synthetic concealer, oval fluff shadow, blending fluff, angle blush, stippling, chisel blush, synthetic foundation, sable powder, & lip brush

[the lip brush cap & crease brush not pictured]

COMPARISONS:


stippling vs MAC 187 SE
>> I actually use this brush a lot! I don't own a 187 [although I wish I did] but it does what a stippling brush is supposed to do - create that "airbrushed" look. I use this with blushes mostly. When I first got it, though, it shed like crazy! But after a few washes the shedding stopped and it's still completely full.


foundation vs MAC 190 SE
>> I personally don't like this brush at all. Normally I love synthetic brushes, but thse bristles are not soft at all and they totally leave a streaky look when I apply liquid foundation!


lip vs Sephora retractable lip
>> I'm not a big fan of lip brushes, but it does it's job. Nothing special really.



chisel blush vs BE foundation vs sable powder
>>Personally, I think this "chisel blush" brush is wayy to big to apply blush! [it takes up half the side of my face!] I sometimes use it for powder but I don't really like it. When you wash it the water comes out black [even after months!] and it's not soft at all. Also I don't like BE brushes at all!! I got this in the foundation kit they had and it's totally scratchy! To me, the sable powder brush looks exactly like it [it's not soft either] so if you're planning on buying this BE brush, you're better off with this Coastal Scent version.


angle blush vs MAC 168 SE
>> This is one of my favve brushes! I use it everyday for contouring. I just love how angled it is. It does bleed black when you wash it, but after a few washes it goes away. It's not the softest brush but it's not the harshest either. I'd say it's worth $2.50!


Sephora concealer vs concealer vs MAC 194 SE
>> I hate this concealer brush too! CS synthetic brushes don't do anything for me. I do use this to apply P/P and eye primer but for concealer I'm better off with my Sephora brush or my MAC 194


MAC 239 SE vs oval fluff
>> This was my fave brush out of everything! After I got the 239 SE I realize they're totally comparable. I'm not sure how the full size bristles feel compared to the SE, but the CS brush is really soft. I use this brush daily to pack color on my eyelids =]


crease brush vs MAC 219
>> This is my second fave brush! The bristles are soft, however they aren't as stiff as the 219 brush. It's supposed to be a "crease brush" but I use it for putting eyeshadow on my lower lash line.

I just got a bunch of the brushes from the MAC Holiday Collection which it was they're all red. ;] The passable brushes are the chisel blush, sable powder, lip, concealer, & foundation. Must haves are the crease brush [if you don't have a 219], the fluff shadow brush [if you don't have a 239], the angle blush [if you don't have a 168] and the stippling [if you can't convince yourself to pay $42 for the 187 like me!]. The blending fluff brush, I personally really like, but it's passable if you have other blending brushes. I like to use it to finish off blending my crease and highlighter colors together but it's not a necessary brush.

Here's a list of the prices on Coastal Secnts
$2.49 Pink Angle Blush Brush
$1.99 Pink Blending Fluff Brush
$7.95 Pink Duo Fiber Powder Stippler
$1.69 Pink Oval Fluff Brush
$2.49 Pink Synthetic Concealer Brush
$1.49 Pink Round Crease Eye Brush
$2.99 Pink Sable Powder Brush
$3.99 Pink Synthetic Foundation Brush

No comments:

Post a Comment