Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Update: What's Your Opinion? Protective=Unattractive?

You all have had such great comments about this post! It's funny how so many of us go through similar things along our natural journeys. I have often thought about how I feel cutest with my hair out but at the same time, it is not worth dealing with the intense, sometimes hour-long detangling sessions afterwards. Usually not a big deal after a twist out but wash-n-go styles are a HUGE No-No for me at this length. That puff in the post before this one left my hair very unhappy. Granted, part of that was due to some products I used but allowing my natural curls to dry into a shrunken state makes it really difficult to get through once completely dried.

I wanted to add to/respond to some of the comments that caught my eye. I could totally relate to Fina's comment:Now my hair is in a protective style ~90% of the time and I feel slightly unsafe/guilty when I wear my hair out. Sometimes I too have felt almost bad when my hair is out and blowing around, just because I know it will cause more knots/split ends. I've learned to take it easier on myself and not get all stressed out over my hair. Sometimes it was like I forgot that I don't HAVE to have a length or growth goal just because everyone talks about it. And if I fall asleep one night without a freaking satin cap, my hair will still be ok...

And Jc makes a good point here: I understand what she is saying but I do think there are other protective styles that could make her feel cute. For example the classic two french braids. Perhaps a few cornrows in the front and free hair in the back tied into a bun. It is not all twists and box braids, there are alternatives.

Now here is another interesting comment from Deborah Estelle : But I like how some protective styles look like Roshini or even yours in your pictures but for some reason some women end up looking like the slavery era!
Sometimes when my hair was shorter especially, I remember feeling this way about twists. They just seemed so drawn up to my scalp. It did remind me of images I'd seen on tv of folks portraying slaves. It's nuts that those and big 70's afros are pretty much the only images I remember seeing as a kid of natural hair. Luckily that is changing but I totally know what she means.

And sometimes, like Moni said, it's all about practicality based on the environment in which you live: I wear protective styles all winter and wear my hair out most of the summer. Michigan winters are just too cold to leave my hair out.

These are for CocoEuro!
In the end, when it comes to protective styles, some of us like them, some don't. That's ok! It is nice to be able to choose how to wear your hair, whether it be relaxed or natural, kinky or straight, up or out. I guess I would only add that feeling guilty or bad about doing something to your hair is a waste of time and no fun! Hair should not dominate our lives or our self-esteem, although I know that can be easier said than done. Thanks to all who have shared so far and everyone else, feel free to chime in!
*******************************************************************
Taking a look around You Tube, I came across a video by SupremeDejhan entitled "I Don't Do Protective Styles..." I was intrigued because in the natural world protective styles are a mainstay, especially for those with length or health goals. I wear protective styles a lot nowadays that my hair has gotten longer. My hair tangles so easily and I get tons of tiny fairy knots if my hair is out for too long or gets blow around in the wind. Sometimes protective styles are less about my hair health and more for the sake of my mental health when I think about how un-fun it is to detangle a ratty mess!



One thing she says in the video is that she does not want to sacrifice her cuteness for more length and that she is fine with the amount of hair she has. My mom even talks about how she does not like how her hair frames her face when it is in twists or other protective styles. She says that she needs "big" hair to frame her face in an attractive way.

My question to you all is, do you wear protective styles a lot? If so, it is for length retention, growth, health?

Do you feel attractive when your hair is in protective styles? If so, what are some of your favorites? If not, what else do you do to yourself (earrings, makeup, clothes, etc) to enhance your appearance?

In another clip of the video, she mentions not wanting to spend so much time with her hair in protective styles that she does not get to enjoy her hair. For some reason it made me think of my grandma's old house in the living room where all the "good" couches were covered in plastic! Like, we were saving them for when company came over but in the mean time we all had to look at that thick plastic. I know, random example, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Is it worth it to you to keep your mane twisted or otherwise "protected" if that means big hair is out for a while?

Please share your love (or love/hate or just hate!) relationship with protective styles! I would love to know what you think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment