Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Newly Natural Queen of the Week: Tiara

Enjoy the featured NNQ of the week!
Aren't her dreads AMAZING?

Name: Tiara

Time Natural: About a year and a half

Why did you go natural?
I wanted something different, and was tired of perming my hair. Plus, the last perm that I had broke my hair off. Especially around the edges. My older cousin also heavily influenced me since she has had locs for 8 years, and they are absolutely gorgeous.

Did you BC, transition, or both?
I started 2 two-strand twist; my ends were still permed. And I did the BC Oct 1, 2008 with about 3 inches or natural hair.

What response did you get when you BC’d?
None of my friends liked it at all. Not even my mom (even though she soon followed suit and loc’d hers). No one said anything super negative that I wanted to throw a perm in my hair. I mostly got “Why” and “What if you don’t look right with locs?”

What is your hair care regimen?
I really don’t have one. I get my hair re-twisted every 6 weeks. My stylist uses shea butter and coconut oil to re-twist my locs. And I try to grease my scalp and moisturize my hair at least 2 times a week with Dudley’s Hair & Scalp conditioner, especially since I get my hair colored so often. I’ve been blonde, platinum blonde, auburn, and orange. My hair really doesn’t take that much effort to maintain; it just seems to need love.

What is your hair type?
I obviously have locs, but my new growth is mostly 4a with some 3c.

What makes you a natural hair queen?
I’ve found myself, and now I’m much happier with my hair than I was before with permed hair. And I feel like a lot of other women are inspired to loc their hair because of mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment