Monday, September 7, 2009

Fresh-Squeezed Fotki Juice: BrwnSKinBeauty


When I saw this beautiful young woman's fotki my mouth dropped! She is absolutely gorgeous and her mane fabulous. One of the things that stood out to me was that she transitioned for a very long time, 2 years! So for those of you out there that want to hang onto your hair before the Big Chop, here is a great example of how to do that.
Not only is she stunning, she is creative too! Check out her site (http://www.cafepress.com/naturalgirl) where she sells the cutest apparel featuring natural hair!
Here is what she had to say...

NL: How long have you been natural?
6 months. I transitioned for 2 years.

NL: What is your regimen for styling and maintenance?
I wash my hair every week or every week and a half. I wash my hair with conditioner only (Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose). I use shampoo on my scalp every 4 months to get a thorough wash. I usually twist my hair after I've washed it. I use tons of Giovanni's Direct Leave-In conditioner and coconut oil when I'm detangling it. I only comb my hair when it's wet and full of conditioner. I usually alternate between just wearing twists to allow my hair to rest and twist outs.


NL: What are your favorite styles and how do you achieve them?
I can't pick one! I love them all! I do like the volume I get from wash n gos!

NL: You transitioned for a long time. Why did you choose that route and what was that process like for you?
I am used to having a lot of hair and I have a big head lol. I didn't want it to be a traumatic experience when I bc'd so I waited until I was comfortable. I had two friends to bc before me and they were in shock and had a tough time in the beginning so I decided to wait it out. Transitioning for so long was tough at first but when I found my staple style (braidouts) and the right leave-in (I started with Cantu and then I started using Giovanni) it became easy.


NL: What is your favorite thing about being totally natural?
Having healthy hair! And I could never say that I loved my hair before, but I absolutely love my hair now! I love the versatility of natural hair and how unique our hair is. I love being different from mainstream America.

NL:. Is there anything else you would like to share about your experience with Naturally Leslie readers?
Accept your hair for what it is and what it's not. Don't compare your hair to anyone else's. Love what God gave you! :)


Thanks so much to BrwnSKinBeauty for sharing her amazing journey and pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment