Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sosa So Much Lighter...

UPDATE: I just saw this video. Warning...it's brutal! But another interesting example of what is happening around the world. Is "de-racialization" really happening? Should we be more concerned about it? Is this really just a result of globalization like the doctor said? It's about 48 minutes long but very interesting. Tell me what you think.




Sosa shocked fans when he showed up at the Latin Grammys last week looking like a completely different person, complete white skin and green eyes. He insists, however, that the lights from the camera made him look a lot lighter than he actually is. "I'm not a racist. I live my life happily . . . I don't think I look like Michael Jackson,” he said. (Latina.com)

I have seen this now on various sights and I have to say, it turns my stomach a bit. I am not surprised at this point that anyone would want to lighten their skin, straighten their hair, and change their eye color. But this photo was so striking to me that it literally took my breath away. He's been catching a lot of flack for it over the web and I can see why now. Here's what he had to say: "It's a bleaching cream that I apply before going to bed. . . . I use [it] to soften [my skin], but [it] has bleached me some," he admitted.

I think what bothers me most about this is that he thinks he looks better. How is that possible?? I am not hating on him, really I'm not. It just never fails to amaze me that, in the pursuit of a more "euro" beauty aesthetic, people will so alter themselves, no matter what the end result. It's like, cause my eyes are green and my skin is light I must be more beautiful now. Yes green eyes are beautiful on some people and light skin is nice on other people but so are dark chestnut eyes and mocha skin. It's all beautiful. I fear he has made a mistake and it might be too late to correct.

Scientists out there- can his skin ever go back? I mean, if he stops bleaching it, will it eventually slough off enough and be replaced with new cells of his original color?
I know I should live and let live and probably not waste time caring but at the same time, I can't help but think about the little brown boys (and girls) who look up to him because he's a big baseball star, and they see this and think something must have been wrong with him before.

Think that's crazy? Read this and this and this (especially if you love the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty stuff).

No comments:

Post a Comment