Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reader Question: Products for Hold

Here is the lady in question showcasing her lovely locks. Isn't she gorgeous! Keep the help coming, you guys are great!


We have another reader question that I'm sure applies to many. I myself have experienced this and, especially in the tricky NC climate, I have wondered what different products could yield the best results to really set a twist out.

I have been natural for about 10 years now, but like you I'm still learning new things! Earlier in my natural phase I would use products for my twist out that wouldn't be healthy, but my twist outs would last up to a week. Now that I use unrefined shea butter, the hold is not so great. Do you have any tips on making the twist out last longer and preventing shrinkage? Do you twist every night? I usually only twist the front and top area at night, but I miss the length that I get from a new twist out. Any advice would be appreciated.

My thoughts: I used to use products that are now considered unhealthy for my hair (like petroleum based products/gels with high alcohol content) and I also love my CocoShea mix. But, like you say, my twist outs don't always hold as well, especially when there is any humidity in the air.

So, I have tried using different gels/stylers to stretch the time between twists and I also re-twist certain sections at night as needed to re-set the curl.
My favorite gel is IC Polisher Aloe gel and I use this mixed with just a little bit of coconut oil on the length of my hair (sometimes I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner as a leave in under the coconut oil if I feel I need more moisture). I save the CocoShea for the ends as a sealant moreso than a twisting agent, if that makes sense. The gel seems to set the twists better and my results last longer. Some people use a conditioner as a leave-in/styler which provides them with a little hold.

During the colder months, I can get away with using the CocoShea mix on the entire length of my hair if I choose, and I get pretty good results. But again, that is with no humidity in the hair. During the summer, I almost have to re-twist every night no matter what, because my hair just likes to swell. I actually don't mind that much unless I am going for a particular look.

So I am calling on you again, NL readers, what do you do to set your twist outs for long lasting results?

***Also...don't forget to send me your list of tried and true products/hair type/texture for my master "go-to" list! Check out this post for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment