Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reader Question: Heat Damage Solutions???


Naturally Leslie reader Sewing Stardom had this wonderful question and she needs our help. What would you do if this described your hair situation???

I have a hair issue maybe someone can help me.

Ok so i have been natural my whole life, but i have been using heat to get my hair straight since i was about 11 or so. My hair used to be kinky and curly(i hated it then) but now i want that texture back. sadly my hair is no longer as tightly curled as it once was. Now when I wash my hair it is curly on one side, puffy on some parts and wavy/straight on others. I'm craving that naturally curly hair i once had. I do braid outs and twist outs and all those other styles but I want the natural hair back without all the effort those styles take. Do you guys think I should just chop of my hair and start from the beginning? i feel like I have no hope now. I can either cut it, deal with it or use more heat to get it all one texture....(sighhh) i need advice.


As you may remember, I suffered from some minor heat damage and decided to chop it all off about 2.5 yrs ago. It was just easier to me and I wanted to experience the "big chop" again. That worked for me and I enjoyed working with my hair as it grew to different lengths. Here I am 2.5 yrs later with MORE hair than I had before I cut it. It has been a joy for me to watch my hair grow and thrive in such a short amount of time, and I really liked finding new styles for my hair at all the "in-between" lengths.

I know chopping is not the best choice for everyone as some women like to retain as much length as possible when growing out a perm or damaged parts. But I don't think continuing with heat straightening is the best way to go either. Further damage will only make you more frustrated and could lead to permanent hair loss.

So...Naturally Leslie readers, what do you suggest? If you want to weigh in and give your two cents, please submit a comment. I'm sure this lovely reader is anxious to hear your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment