Sunday, December 6, 2009

"Acting White" on Black Women and Hair

I love the internet. There is so much information at my fingertips and yet not enough time to properly devour and digest it all. From time to time I find myself looking for stories and articles which reflect my interests and I often find them. This time, I was looking at one of my favorite blogs, ActingWhite.blogspot.com by James Collier. I say it is one of my favorites, not because I agree with everything that is said, but because it is always thought provoking and interesting.

The post I just read is entitled Hair Length, Quality, and Attractiveness and is part of a series called Acting White: Black Women. Read this excerpt:

"The key to understanding attraction of hair color and skin tone is that humans have an innate sense of what is natural and healthy, as an indication of longevity and reproductive capacity. Any deviation from what looks natural challenges our senses, resulting in negative sexual selection. Also, coloring the hair is a tactic of short-term gain, due to the backend ‘cost’ of unattractiveness, once the natural color returns. For the record, coloring also damages the hair, leads to shortening of average length, and thinning, again enhancing unattractiveness."

Check out the entire post and come back here to tell me what you think. Do you agree, disagree or are you indifferent?

If you're interested, check out these other posts in Collier's Black Women series:


No comments:

Post a Comment